Get a free Whoop 4.0 strap & first month membership with my link: https://join.whoop.com/#/2963F0
Wake up with vibration once achieve 100% of sleep need
This may be useful to wake up without sleep inertia (grogginess), and to ensure you are waking up at the similar times to increase sleep regularity index (likely as important as total sleep time for sleep quality and longevity)
As whoop is the most accurate consumer polysomnography device, it is an obvious feature that arguably only Whoop can pull off; for example Oura or EIGHT sleep bed inserts won't be able to do this well as they cannot detect deep sleep as accurately as Whoop
This depends if Whoop actually uses sleep stages to determine the wake up time, which is not clear, but it is something worth experimenting with and seeing if it improves your PSQI, WASO, energy levels or other sleep markers.
My estimate is this feature is likely the most impactful for most people.
Shows which of your metrics are outside your personal normal range and allows you to share the results more easily with others. This saves the minor inconvenience of going into the web app to see report data in full detail, unfortunately I doubt their report will output WASO given how buggy it is to see WASO data over time on the desktop app (have to select indiviudal days, no trendlines available).
This may make it easier to guide how hard to exercise to the current method of seeing your overall recovery score, but its not clear whether the recovery score integrates these measures already in which case the new feature could be useless.
SpO2 and skin temperature
Currently these additions appear essentially useless outside the context of acute illness in high risk populations such as age 70+ with existing major medical conditions, and then they are not medical device grade for accuracy. It is unclear if this measures SpO2 during the day or during last 5 min of slow wave sleep.
One may be able to correlate skin sleep temperature at the wrist or *ideally worn within new Whoop underwear* to measure core body temperature more accurately, as this will likely correlate higher with sleep outcomes than peripheral wrist skin temperature.
'More accurate sensors'
As the Whoop is already accurate, it is unclear this will have any benefit. Perhaps this is to ensure accuracy at the new locations in Whoop clothing.
- Waterproof battery and seemingly better battery life '1-1.5 hours on gives 5 day battery life'
- Strap is 33% smaller
- Easier to change bands
- Can now be worn within Whoop clothing, allowing healthcare workers or sports people who like to be bare below the elbow to wear the Whoop in areas other than their wrist
- Unclear if the very slow data upload when bluetooth has been turned off overnight will be improved
More Whoop study results
Increased total sleep time 1 hr in high school students who engaged with the platform
Following training recommenations reduced injuries in athletes training for a 5k by 1/3rd
McKinsey study showed 5-10% increase in cognitive performance for each 30 min of deep sleep gained
As its a 'free upgrade' for existing members with 6 months membership, its a clear decision to upgrade, however there are features still missing
- Faster syncing of data
- Real time HRV
- Non-RMSSD HRV
- Auto-HRV biological age
- Multiple linear and non-linear regression to find causation of things that change HRV
- Automated alerts to exercise
- Wifi rather than bluetooth sync
- WASO viewable over weeks or months, and average WASO shown in reports
- Export data as csv so don't have to manually compute correlational analysis
- Automated alerts to hit target bedtime
- Evidence based recommendations to improve HRV, e.g. Calorie restriction optimal nutrition and lower WASO e.g. CBT-I (cognitive behavioural therapy for insomnia), low dose melatonin, temperature control via EIGHT sleep or removing memory foam toppers etc.
- More scientific insights on what variables to try next to raise HRV
- Non lifestyle related HRV raising interventions
My Whoop credentials
I have raised average 2 week Whoop HRV by 30% - 100% in 4 clients and reduced 2 week WASO by 10-30 minutes in 2 clients.